|Air date||February 4, 2005|
|Written by||Michael Carrington|
|Directed by||Christopher B. Pearman|
|Previous Episode||The Big Buzz|
|Next Episode||Dog Day Aftergroom|
True Colors was the tenth episode of the third season. It originally aired on Disney Channel on February 4, 2005.
Raven and Chelsea both apply for a job at Sassy's. Raven does very well on her interview while Chelsea (though) is terrible at it. However, Chelsea gets the job and Raven doesn't. Raven can't imagine why she didn't, but then has a vision of Chloe Hunter (the store manager) saying that she does not hire black people.
Raven tells her parents about it, but feels that there is nothing that she can do. With her parents' encouragement, the trio enlist the help with local television reporter, Yolanda Johnson, who agrees to help them to expose Chloe's discriminatory policies. Chelsea reports to work with a hidden camera in her hat. A disguised Raven and Eddie help her record the evidence that they need. Chloe is later exposed in a television broadcast report and fired.
Meanwhile, Cory learns the contributions of African-Americans in life, and gets the inspiration he needs to write a report about a famous African-American for Black History Month. He reveals that he picked Sam Jackson, the inventor of modern ice cream.
- Raven-Symone as Raven Baxter
- Anneliese van der Pol as Chelsea Daniels
- Orlando Brown as Eddie Thomas & Scott Joplin
- Kyle Massey as Cory Baxter
- Rondell Sheridan as Victor Baxter & Frederick Douglass
- T'Keyah Crystal Keymáh as Tanya Baxter & Bessie Coleman
- Devika Parikh as Yolanda Johnson
- Nivia Davis as Madame C.J. Walker
- Devon Odessa as Chloe Hunter
- The episode title is based off a song by Cyndi Lauper. Ironically, Lauper guest starred in Art Breaker.
- Frederick Douglass said Harriet Tubman invented the Underground Railroad, but she didn't.
- When Chloe tells Chelsea that she doesn't hire black people, she's looking right at us meaning she's looking at the camera, which is in Chelsea's hat. Her eyes should be looking a bit below us, where Chelsea's eyes would be.
- Raven-Symone's dad, Christopher B. Pearman, directed the episode.
- This episode was aired during Black History Month.
- Chelsea is revealed to be the only non-African main character in this episode as this episode garnered attention for dealing with the subject of racial discrimination.
- This episode is later inspired from The WB sitcom Smart Guy, episode "Get a Job," as both episodes were aired in Season 3.
Tanya: Oh-whoa-whoa-whoa, now wait a minute, I didn’t say “Give up.”
Raven: Mom, even if they did believe me, I’m just one person. I can’t change the world.
Victor: Raven, if Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr. had that same attitude, we’d still be sitting in the back of the bus.
|The Big Buzz||Dog Day Aftergroom|